It’s April and April showers bring May flowers…do you know what May means?!? Mother’s Day!
Here is the perfect DIY gift that any mom would love! Check us out on WSAW News Channel 7 at 5:00 pm to see us demo how to make this cute sentimental photo holder.
Here’s what you will need –
- A cutting device; can be a chop/miter saw, circular saw, jig saw, or hand saw. Some home improvement stores will even cut your lumber for you!
- Sander, preferably an orbital or palm sander with 40-80 grit sand paper. Depending on the quality of your boards you may be able to hand sand with sand paper.
- Power drill to pre-drill holes for screws
- Tape Measure
- Hot glue gun to add any embellishments
- 1″ by 12″ by 17″ board
- Wood stain of your choice. We used Minwax waterbased Toffee color. It is available at either Menards or Home Depot.
- Foam paint brush
- Cloth rag
- Two alligator clips
- #8 by 1/2″ wood screws (2)
- Furniture or decorative tacks
- Ribbon, twine or other embellishments
- Mother Printable – MOM-FRIEND_PDF2 (downloadable here as a PDF or image)
You will need to have your 1″ by 12″ cut to the approximate length of 17″. Some local home improvement stores will cut your board to length or sell cut off lumber that will work for the project. Once you have your board cut to length, you would sand lightly. The board will accept the stain better if it is sanded.
Stain your board by brushing the stain on and wiping off the excess. You could also paint or choose to leave your board natural.
Print the printable and trim to size to fit your board.
Use the tape measure to determine the location of your alligator clips.
Pre-drill two holes for the alligator clips.
Use a screwdriver and wood screws to attach the alligator clips to the board.
Attach the printable to the board. The decorative tacks can be pushed in with your fingers and then tapped with a hammer to secure.
We choose to add a bit of twine to our sign to decorate it but here is your chance to add a bit of a personal touch and embellishment.
Here is our finished Mother’s Day Gift! I know our moms would love it and so will yours.
Keep on DIY’ng and let us know if you have any questions!
Lisa Kumfer & Ashley Witzeling – co-owners of Wausau DIY